Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 8:57 PM
During its April Meeting, the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC) discussed a contractor report called “Spending in the Last Year of Life and the Impact of Hospice on Medicare Outlays.” The report provided the following overview:
• Examined national trends
• A review of replicated recent studies on the topic in literature
• A new “market-level” approach to measure the impact of hospice on overall Medicare expenditures
The report found the following results:
• Between 2002 and 2012, the use of hospice increased from 26% to 47% of decedents
• Spending in the last year of life increased by 1.1%
• There was no evidence in the national trends that indicated the use of hospice decreased Medicare costs for beneficiaries in the last year of life
• One-third of hospice spending was spent outside of the final year of life
For the full article, click here.
Corridor is the nation’s preferred partner and trusted business advisor to home health and hospice providers, providing quality services and impactful results for 30 years. Focusing on key operational, regulatory and financial challenges, Corridor delivering industry-unique solutions and deep expertise in coding, clinical documentation review, compliance, billing and collections , consulting and provider staff education . At Corridor, we make the business of caring for people Better! For the most important industry updates and news that impacts home health and hospice, please make sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the latest up-to-date industry information direct to your inbox!
For additional information, please contact Corridor at 1-866-263-3795.