Posted Monday, December 7, 2020
In March 2020 the Novel Coronavirus Disease, COVID-19, was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. A national emergency was declared in the U.S. on March 13, 2020 and remains in place. Post-COVID-19 related conditions are also occurring as a result of the pandemic. Given this development there is an ongoing and urgent need to capture more information about this condition in our surveillance data and the nation’s health care claims. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), under the National Emergencies Act Section 201 and 301, is announcing further additions to ICD-10-CM Classification related to COVID-19, that will become effective January 1, 2021. As a result of the ongoing COVID-19 public health emergency, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics (CDC/NCHS) is implementing additional codes into the International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM) for reporting to include:
- Encounter for screening for COVID-19 (Z11.52)
- Contact with and (suspected) exposure to COVID-19 (Z20.822)
- Personal history of COVID-19 (Z86.16)
- Multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS) (M35.81)
- Other specified systemic involvement of connective tissue (M35.89)
- Pneumonia due to coronavirus disease 2019 (J12.82) These new codes will be effective January 1, 2021 to identify conditions resulting from COVID-19. Full addenda information regarding the new codes and the final code titles will be published shortly.
For over 30 years, Corridor has partnered with home-based care providers, delivering powerful solutions to support the unique challenges of caring for patients in the home. Our team of operating executives, clinicians, and nationally renowned industry experts have run provider organizations and resolved the same challenges you face.
Focusing on key operational, regulatory and financial challenges, Corridor delivers solutions and deep expertise in coding, clinical documentation, compliance, billing and education.
To receive the most important industry updates, insights and news impacting home health and hospice, please make sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter.
For additional information, please contact Corridor at 1-866-263-3795.