Hospices Mobilize Diversity Education to Reach Underserved Groups

Posted Sunday, October 17, 2021

Hospice care demand has been rising year over year, yet there are still groups that are underserved. According to the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization,

African American, Asian, and Hispanic patients made up less than 20% of Medicare hospice patients in 2018, while the remaining 80% of beneficiaries were Caucasians.

“A big point is actually accepting that there are underlying issues of racism in our nation. Historically, racism has played a huge part in everything that results in how health care is provided,” said Shirlee Turner, chief medical officer at The Denver Hospice in Colorado. “Ground one is not to avoid or minimize the fear of saying we have a race issue. A lot of the issues we deal with in health care have race grounded in them. If we try to hide that piece of it then we’re hiding a piece of the part that’s going to help you fix the problem.”

Click here for the full article.

About Corridor

For over 30 years, Corridor has partnered with home-based care providers, delivering powerful solutions to support the unique challenges of caring for patients in the home. Our team of operating executives, clinicians, and nationally renowned industry experts have run provider organizations and resolved the same challenges you face.

Focusing on key operational, regulatory and financial challenges, Corridor delivers solutions and deep expertise in codingclinical documentationcompliancebilling and education.

To receive the most important industry updates, insights and news impacting home health and hospice, please make sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Explore Corridor’s Solutions

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!